Monday 16 April 2012

Twist March 1999

  
Twist was a teen magazine that was popular - at least to me and my friends - when I was 11 and 12. I adored this magazine because it was fun. It actually had jokes. It wasn't all about serious teen issues (I'm looking at you Seventeen). But it wasn't completely frivolous and filled with pictures of hot guys (*cough*J-14*cough*), it had a good combination of both. There were stories about issues (see "my cybersex nightmare on the cover), pictures of hotties, love advice, fashion and stories just for fun (see palm reading cards below). Here are a few articles I found interesting when flipping through the March 1999 issue of Twist. Click to enlarge them. 


I used to be obsessed with things that could tell my future - magic 8 balls...cootie catchers...fortune cookies.... Eventually I stumbled upon palm reading. I can actually remember reading my own palm thanks to the knowledge I gleaned from these cards and a book I got from the library. I determined that I would have two children and only one - very long - relationship. I was disappointed because I had crushes on, like, 20 different guys at the time and I wanted to date more than one guy in my lifetime. If anyone is brave enough to follow these directions and read your own palm please comment and share what the future holds for you.


These are the aforementioned palm reading cards. I guess you can shove them in your pocket for a palm reading emergency.



Sorry for the big hole in the article, but you can still read most of it.

Highlights from this article:
  • Selma Blair the next big thing on TV? ...Well that never happened. Sadly she never became the next big anything. Too bad, I loved her as the slutty spoiled brat in Cruel Intentions and as the chick who gets a dick stuck in her mouth in The Sweetest Thing. I honestly never even knew she was on television. 
  • Alyson Hannigan's first crush was Elroy Jetson?
  • Topher Grace doesn't like hanging out with people and is obsessed with Red Lobster.
  • Laura Prepon is "a Jersey girl and proud of it." Really? Do you still stand behind your statement in 2012?
  • Scott Baristow said that working with JTT on Wild America was "borderline too much fun." ...Like I needed anymore reasons to be depressed that I couldn't be on that set.
  • Including Wendy Testaburger as one of the "underrated" TV stars in this article is just an example of why I loved Twist so much.


Pop Life was a regular feature in Twist. 

Highlights from this article:
  • I forgot Brendan Fraser played George of the Jungle. Thanks for reminder.
  • Usher vs. an usher = hilarious
  • Speaking as a Backstreet Boys expert, I don't think the lyrics in the verses of "All I Have to Give" were supposed to rhyme, just the chorus was. 
  • Jen caned to death by Gram when caught raiding the booze nude with two boys? I could totally see that happening. Ditto for Donna's death by brain cell evaporation. 
  • The "Rent It" section of Pop Life makes me want to rent Better off Dead. Right. Now.

Pretty good suggestions on ways to get over disappointments in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment