Friday 16 December 2011

10 Favourite Christmas Specials From My Childhood

1. The Nutcracker Prince


I didn't just watch this at Christmas, I watched it all year long. This was one of my favourite movies as a child. I named several of my dolls after the main character, Clara. Also, I remember bringing my VHS copy to watch when my Grandma babysat my brother and I. Oh, how I wished I were Clara. Her dolls came to life and she had an adventure with them! And her nutcracker turned into a cute boy! I wanted her life so badly, but instead I settled for living vicariously by watching this video over and over and over and over and over.

2. Have Yourself a Goofy Little Christmas


Goof Troop was one of my favourite cartoons as a child, so naturally I loved this Christmas special as well. The Reindeer Rumba (a song and dance that Max invented when he was younger) is so catchy. I watched this last week on youtube and have had it stuck in my head since.

3. A Flintstone Family Christmas


When I was younger I loved the Flintstones specials that featured Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm as grownups: I Yabba-Dabba Do!, Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby and this Christmas special. In this special, Fred bonds with an orphan named Stoney and makes him a part of the Flintstone family. It was even nominated for an Emmy Award. There are a few other great Flintstones Christmas specials:

4. For Better or Worse: A Christmas Angel


An uplifting Christmas special, based on the comic strip. Elizabeth is feeling overlooked because she's the middle child - "too big to be little and too little to be big." When April breaks their mother's beloved Christmas angel, Elizabeth is blamed for not watching her. So Elizabeth goes sledding to blow off steam but runs into a tree and gets a concussion. When she wakes up, she doesn't know where she is, but comes across a cottage where a nice old lady makes her feel better about being the middle child and helps her home. Meanwhile, the rest of the family has been panicking. When they realize that Elizabeth is home, they're relieved and apologize for the way they acted. At the end, Elizabeth gives her mother an angel that she made herself and she loves it.

5. Mickey's Christmas Carol


This has always been my favourite version of A Christmas Carol. Scrooge McDuck (who went on to star in another of my favourite cartoons: DuckTales) is Scrooge, Mickey is Bob Cratchit, Donald Duck is Scrooge's nephew, Goofy is Jacob Marley, Daisy Duck is his ex-fiance, Jiminy Cricket is the Ghost of Christmas Past, Willie the Giant is the Ghost of Christmas Present and Pete is the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.

6. The Muppet Christmas Carol


The Muppets also did their own version of A Christmas Carol, but with more singing. Obviously, Kermit plays Bob Cratchit and Miss Piggy plays Mrs. Cratchit. Scrooge is played by Michael Caine.

7. Frosty Returns


I know that Frosty the Snowman is a Christmas classic, but I always liked this sequel better. If you've heard the song, "Frosty the Snowman," then you know the plot of the cartoon. But Frosty Returns has an all-new plot about Summer Wheeze, a spray that melts snow. It also features new songs like "Let There Be Snow."

8. Pluto's Christmas Tree


This short is only 7 minutes long, but despite its length it is still very entertaining. Mickey and Pluto find the perfect Christmas tree but are unaware that it's home to two chipmunks named Chip and Dale. Pluto's Christmas Tree aired on TV in the 80's and 90's as part of a full hour of Disney Christmas cartoons. The others included Mickey's Christmas Carol (see above), The Art of Skiing (Goofy learns to ski) and Donald's Snowfight (Donald has a snowball fight with Huey, Duey and Louie). I can remember watching this on TV as a child and loving it. I wish they still aired all of them together.

9. Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas


This was a straight to video release that came out in 1997. I remember getting this VHS for Christmas that year. Beauty and the Beast was my favourite Disney film and while this sequel wasn't quite as good, I still loved it.


10. It's a Wonderful Tiny Toons Christmas Special


Tiny Toon Adventures was yet another of my favourite cartoons as a child, so I was a fan of this Christmas special as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment