Thursday 15 December 2011

11 Greatest Moments From Christmas Movies & TV Episodes

1. The Christmas lights in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation


It was so hard to pick a moment from this movie because there are so many great ones: the gigantic Christmas tree, the squirrel, the turkey, "Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!", the sledding incident...I could go on, but I'll stop there. I finally chose the Christmas lights because there are so many funny moments associated with it - Clark stapling himself to the roof and falling off the ladder, the lights not working and the family being unimpressed ("If you need me, give me a holler. I'll be upstairs, asleep."), getting mad and kicking the plastic reindeer. Everything about this movie is hilarious and I think it's the best Christmas movie of all time (I've already watched it twice this year).

2. Flick gets his tongue stuck to a pole in A Christmas Story


The best part of this scene is that after they dare him to stick his tongue there and it gets stuck, they just leave him out there! Poor kid.

3. Mr. Bean gets his head stuck inside a turkey in Merry Christmas Mr. Bean


There have been lots of TV shows and movies where a character has gotten his head stuck in a turkey, but this one is my favourite. Mr. Bean's watch falls off inside the turkey so he sticks his head in and it gets stuck. Then his girlfriend arrives and he doesn't want her to see him with a turkey on his head, so he covers it with a towel and pretends he just got out of the shower. Eventually she sees the turkey on his head and after her initial fright, she pulls it off Mr. Bean's head by tying a heavy object to the turkey and throwing it out the window.


Merry Christmas Mr. Bean has plenty of other funny moments; like when Mr. Bean plays with the nativity scene or when his girlfriend points to a ring she wants in a shop window and her gets her the advertisement instead.

4. Santa visits Gimbel's in Elf


Every part of Buddy being mistaken for a worker at Gimbel's is funny - but especially when he gets insanely excited about Santa coming and then calls the Santa an imposter. Here are some of my favourite quotes from Buddy's stint at Gimbel's:

Buddy: Well, if you're Santa, what song did I sing for you on your birthday this year?  
Gimbel's Santa: Um, Happy Birthday of course.

Buddy: SANTA! OH MY GOD! SANTA'S COMING! I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM!  

Gimbel's Manager: Why are you smiling like that? 
Buddy: I just like smiling; smiling's my favorite. 
Gimbel's Manager: [pause] Make work your favorite, okay? Work is your new favorite.

Buddy: Sounds like somebody needs to sing a Christmas Carol.
Jovie: No way.
Buddy: The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.
Jovie: Thanks, but I don't sing.
Buddy: Oh, well, it's just like talking, except longer and louder, and you move your voice up and down.
Jovie: I *can* sing, I just choose *not* to sing. Especially in front of other people.
Buddy: If you can sing alone, you sing in front of other people. There's no difference.
Jovie: Actually, there's a BIG difference.
Buddy: No there's not. Wait...
[Starts singing loud and off-key]
Buddy: I'm singing/I'm in a store/and I'm siiiiiingiiiiing!/I'm in a store/and I'm siiiiiingiiiiing!
Gimbel's Manager: HEY! There's no singin' in the North Pole!
Buddy: Yes there is!
Gimbel's Manager: No there's not!
Buddy: We sing all the time!
Gimbel's Manager: No you don't!
Buddy: Especially when we build toys!
[Back to Jovie]
Buddy: See? 

5. Charlie attacks Santa in A Very Sunny Christmas


Charlie realizes that his mother was a prostitute and had sex with several men dressed up as Santa Claus on Christmas when he was a child. When he sees Santa at the mall, he goes off the deep end and asks him, "Did you fuck my mom?", then attacks him. It's totally twisted yet hilarious.

6. Sheldon hugs Penny in The Big Bang Theory


I already mentioned this in yesterday's post but it's so funny that it's worth repeating. When Penny gives Sheldon a napkin that Leonard Nimoy signed he gives her the most awkward hug ever. It's funnier if you've seen the show and know what Sheldon is like.

7. Pete's Sheweddy balls in Saturday Night Live


I only wanted to put one moment from each show or movie and I had a hard time choosing a moment from Saturday Night Live. I had it narrowed down to Dick in a Box and this, but decided that this one is funnier. Could you imagine if you actually heard this on the radio? They keep talking about balls and describing them as salty or Sheweddy. They did another of these with Betty White talking about her muffin, which is very funny as well.

8. Kevin puts a spider on Marv's face in Home Alone


I love Marv's girlish scream when Kevin puts the tarantula on his face.

9. Arnold Schwarzenegger punches a reindeer in Jingle All the Way


You have to see this to believe it. Arnold says "You picked the wrong day." Then he punches the reindeer right in the face!

10. Wafflebot saves the day in A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas


When Harold and Kumar are tied up and about to be killed, Waffebot (the hottest toy of the season) comes to the rescue, defeating the bad guys and freeing Harold and Kumar. I wish I had a Wafflebot.

11. Frank's Scrooge promo in Scrooged


If all trailers were like this, I would want to see every movie and every TV show.

No comments:

Post a Comment