Monday 19 December 2011

7 Awesome Christmas Songs

1. Christmas Wrapping




This is my favourite Christmas song. It's so catchy and upbeat. This video is pretty cool too - the lights blink in time with the music. I like how different it is from other Christmas songs - instead of being about Santa or Jesus or snow, it's about a woman spending Christmas by herself and the guy she's interested in.

2. Little Ski-doo




They used to show a video for this song between cartoons instead of commercials on TVO Kids. I loved it because I had a little yellow Ski-doo that looked just like that one.

3. Mele Kalikimaka




This is another catchy, upbeat Christmas tune. I also love it because it reminds me of the scene in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when Clark fantasizes about having a pool.

4. Christmas Don't Be Late





I think this song is funny and cute. I like A Chipmunk Christmas, the Christmas special the song appears in, too - except for the parts with Dave because he's a douchey stage dad. It's also Doug Heffernan's favourite Christmas song. Here's a quote from a Christmas episode of King of Queens where Doug and Arthur argue over the song.

(Doug turns on "The Christmas Song" by The Chipmunks and Arthur turns it off)
Doug: What are you doing? That's my favourite Christmas song!
Arthur: Can't stand the way that Alvin always comes in late.
Doug: That's what's funny about it.
Arthur: Not funny. It's disrespectful to the other Chipmunks!
(Doug turns it back on and Arthur turns it off, slapping each other's hands)
Carrie: Hey! I know I have to die someday, but I would be really pissed off if it was today, because of this.

5. Christmas Vacation Theme




Here's another song featured in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation that I adore. It makes me think of the funny cartoon at the beginning of the movie.

6. That Spirit of Christmas




Well I guess it's obvious that National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is my favourite Christmas movie. This song is featured in the scene where Clark gets trapped in the attic while hiding presents and passes the time watching old home movies. I never heard this song until watching Christmas Vacation, but since then it's been one of my favourites - not because it reminds me of the movie, but because I think the lyrics are touching. Here's part of the lyrics:

Christmas is the time of year
For being with the ones we love
Sharing so much joy and cheer
What a wonderful feelin'
Watching the ones we love
Having so much fun

I was sittin' by the fireside
Taking a walk through the snow
Listening to a children's choir
Singing songs about Jesus
The blessed way that he came to us
Why can't it remain
All through the year
Each day the same
Yeah, that's what I wanna hear
It's truly amazin'
That spirit of Christmas

All the kin folk gather round
The lovely Christmas tree
Hearts are glowing full of joy
Sense the gifts that we're giving
And the love that we're living
Why can't it remain
Ohhh all through the year
Each day the same
Yeah, that's what I wanna hear
I'll tell ya
It's truly amazin'
That spirit of Christmas

7. O Holy Night




 I thought I should include a more religious, traditional Christmas carol and this one is my favourite. It's been covered by many singers - Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Faith Hill, Jewel, Celine Dion, Alicia Keys, Avril Lavigne, Carrie Underwood, Susan Boyle.... But my favourite is Kelly Clarkson's cover. I'm not a huge Kelly Clarkson fan, but I'll admit that she has an amazing voice and that along with the choir in the background of this a capella version make it the best version of "O Holy Night" that I've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment